One By One They Will Die!
Spain's first major horror film production, The House that Screamed is a stylish gothic tale of tortured passions and bloody murder that bridges the bloody gap between Psycho and Suspiria.
ThÃ©rÃ¨se (Cristina GalbÃ³) is the latest arrival at the boarding school for wayward girls run under the stern, authoritarian eye of Mme Fourneau (Lilli Palmer). As the newcomer becomes accustomed to the strict routines, the whip-hand hierarchies among the girls and their furtive extra-curricular methods of release from within the forbidding walls of institutional life, she learns that several of her fellow students have recently vanished mysteriously. Meanwhile, tensions grow within this isolated hothouse environment as Mme Fourneau's callow but curious 15-year-old son Louis (John Moulder-Brown) ignores his mother's strict orders not to get close to the 'tainted' ladies under her ward.
Directed by Narciso IbÃ¡Ã±ez Serrador (Who Can Kill a Child?), this landmark title in Spanish genre cinema has been restored to its director's original full-length vision for the first time.
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-rayTM presentations of the 105-minute uncut version titled The Finishing School (La Residencia), and the 94-minute US theatrical version titled The House That Screamed, via seamless branching
- Original lossless English mono audio on both versions, and lossless Spanish audio on the uncut version
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on both versions, and optional English subtitles for the Spanish audio
- Brand new audio commentary by critic Anna Bogutskaya
- This Boyâs Innocence, a previously unreleased interview with actor John Moulder-Brown
- Archive interview with Mary Maude, from the 2012 edition of the Festival of Fantastic Films
- All About My âMamaâ, a brand new interview with Juan TÃ©bar, author of the original story
- The Legacy of Terror, a brand new interview with the director's son, Alejandro IbÃ¡Ã±ez
- Screaming the House Down, a brand new interview with Spanish horror expert Dr Antonio LÃ¡zaro-Reboll, discussing the history of the film and its director
- Alternative footage from the original Spanish theatrical version
- Original trailers, TV and radio spots
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Colin Murdoch
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Shelagh Rowan-Legg and double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Colin Murdoch
Cast & CrewActors:
- Cristina GalbÃ³
- Lilli Palmer
- John Moulder-Brown
- Maribel MartÃn
- CÃ¡ndida Losada
- TomÃ¡s Blanco
- VÃctor Israel
- Teresa Hurtado
Director: Narciso IbÃ¡Ã±ez Serrador
Label: Arrow Video
Run Time: 105 mins
Release Date: 03/07/23