This epic crime drama is considered to be the the magnum opus of the five decades-long career of acclaimed Japanese director Tomu Uchida.
Considered the magnum opus of the five decades-long career of Tomu Uchida (Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji, The Mad Fox), the epic crime drama A Fugitive from the Past was voted third in the prestigious Kinema Junpo magazine's 1999 poll of the Top Japanese Films of the 20th Century.
In 1947, a freak typhoon sends a passenger ferry running between Hokkaido and mainland Japan plunging to the ocean depths, with hundreds of lives lost. During the chaos, three men are witnessed fleeing a burning pawnshop in the Hokkaido port town of Iwanai. The police suspect theft and arson, and when Detective Yumisaka (Junzaburo Ban) discovers the burned remains of a boat and the corpses of two men, he sets about tracking the shadowy third figure. Meanwhile, the mysterious Takichi Inukai (Rentaro Mikuni) takes shelter with a prostitute, Yae (Sachiko Hidari), a brief encounter that will come to define both of their lives. A decade later, long after the trail has gone cold, Yumisaka is called back by his successor Detective Ajimura (Ken Takakura) as two new dead bodies are found.
Making its home video debut outside of Japan, this adaptation of Tsutomu Minakami's 1700-page novel is a landmark in master director Uchida's oeuvre. Its gritty monochrome photography has the immediacy of newsreel as Uchida uses the landscapes of postwar Japan to explore the massive social upheaval and unspoken legacies of the war, and create an unsettling karmic allegory of a man's struggle to escape his past sins.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the restored 183 minute-long cut of the film
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Introduction by writer and curator Jasper Sharp
- Scene-specific commentaries from leading Japanese film scholars Aaron Gerow, Irene GonzÃ¡lez-LÃ³pez, Erik Homenick, Earl Jackson, Daisuke Miyao and Alexander Zahlten
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- Tomu Uchida filmography
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collectorâs booklet featuring writing on the film by David Baldwin and Inuhiko Yomota
Cast & CrewActors:
- RentarÃ´ Mikuni
- Sachiko Hidari
- KÃ´ji Mitsui
- Yoshi KatÃ´
- Sadako Sawamura
- Ken Takakura
- JunzaburÃ´ Ban
Director: Tomu Uchida
Label: Arrow Video
Run Time: 183 mins
Release Date: 09/27/22