Elegantly directed by Hollywood veteran Roy William Neill (best known for his 11 Sherlock Holmes films starring Basil Rathbone), Black Angel is an underappreciated film noir treasure, adapted from a novel by the acclaimed crime writer Cornell Woolrich (Phantom Lady).
When the beautiful singer Mavis Marlowe (Constance Dowling) is slain in her chic apartment, the men in her life become suspects. There is Martin Blair (Dan Duryea, Scarlet Street), her alcoholic musician ex-husband, nursing a broken heart; there is the shady nightclub owner Marko (Peter Lorre, Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon) who has been sneaking around her place, and there is Kirk Bennett (John Phillips), the adulterer who found his mistress's dead body and fled the scene. When Bennett is convicted and sentenced to death, his long-suffering wife Catherine (June Vincent) joins forces with the heartbroken pianist Martin Blair to uncover the truth...
Black Angel is a consummate 1940s crime thriller which boats a suspenseful narrative, strong performances and atmospheric, meticulously lit cinematography. Roy William Neill's film is presented here in a sumptuous restoration, with several illuminating new extras.
- Brand new restoration from original film elements by Arrow Films
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- New audio commentary by the writer and film scholar Alan K. Rode
- A Fitting End, a new video appreciation by the film historian Neil Sinyard
- Original trailer
- Gallery of original stills and promotional materials
- Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork options
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Philip Kemp
Cast & CrewActors:
- Dan Duryea
- June Vincent
- Peter Lorre
Director: Roy William Neill
Producer: Tom McKnight
Producer: Roy William Neill
Label: Arrow Video
Run Time: 81 mins
Release Date: 01/28/20